This time of year has been a struggle for Trevor's family. Tragedy almost took hold. Grandma has frostbite on both her feet , they aren't sure how much they are going to have to amputate and Grandpa is far worse. The part where this turns to a rant is the comments on the story. There are many filled with love and wonder from those who knew the couple and the family, those who actually have a brain. The other comments are from dimwitted cowards.
Trevor's Grandparents are the most amazing people I have ever met. They are are the heart of this large family. Trevor's Grandfather was a Screaming Eagle. For those who aren't as versed in their WWII history he was a paratrooper. He was dropped behind enemy lines. Loraine had 9 children. This couple is in the 80's, they still run a farm, breed champion racehorses, run a family with 50 grandchildren. They cook and clean for themselves, live on their own and yes every year they go and look for Christmas Trees in the mountains for themselves and their children. They are AMAZING. They love life, family, work and each other. They work HARD. They are well known and respected members of a large community. It is a privilege to know them.
People ask why they were in the mountains alone and question how their family could have let them go on their own. What I want to know why on earth would to healthy, active and responsible adults have to ask their children's permission to go look for Christmas trees, something that they have done every year for the past 60 years?? People who are less of a person wouldn't have survived. They survived 12 hours in a snowy canyon in November, he walked for 12 hours, she held on to hope and was angry that she couldn't go with him. I would not have fared nearly as well.
We are down in Utah and Wyoming. We went and saw them in the hospital. Rather than moping and giving up Grandpa is trying to convince the family to bust him out. Telling and Uncle that he needs to go up to the mountains for more wood for the winter (yes every year he still chops enough wood to get them through the winter even though he has a furnace). He is not giving up. Grandmas main concern is for her husband. She is the most gracious person I have ever met. Her gratitude for everything and everyone is a credit to her. I cried tonight when she told us that she didn't know how she and Steve were going to get home but that she was going to take care of him again when they did get there.
The family has come together to be with them also. They are never alone there are children and grandchildren there around the clock to help them out and keep them company. One of the things that made me fall in love with Trevor is the love that binds his family together. They will do anything for each other.
This couple has lived an amazing life and has grown an incredible family and it isn't over yet.
Thankx for letting me vent, perhaps people who have no idea what standard of people that they are talking about shout keep their negative, ill informed comments to themselves.
4 comments:
They are truly amazing people. Trevor's grandmother is one of my favorite people, and I have only met her a handful of times. She has impacted me in a very positive way. Our prayers continue to be with them.
Amen.
Sounds like the type of people that a person (namely, me) should try to work towards becoming. They sounds wonderful and amazing.
I really do think that people frequently give their negative opinions way too quickly...and when they really shouldn't have an opinion anyway... I hope these people are able to recover quickly. How sad.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope everything turns out okay and I hope your family finds itself strengthened.
Post a Comment